Monday, October 7, 2013

Friday's Closing Ceremony

Even though classes officially end on Oct.8th, we decided to do a "graduation" on Friday morning just before Jake and I had to leave for Addis for our evening flight home. It was wonderful-- we had a class speaker, music by the teachers, handing out of certificates, congratulatory speeches by our Ethiopian hosts, and a farewell gift to each teacher-- a beautiful Ethiopian scarf with a wooden Orthodox cross.
We had to miss the traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony which the teachers had after the formal proceedings were over.
Our only Ethiopian "graduate"-- we're in front of the coffee ceremony materials.
Mawa, our class speaker-- he did a marvellous job!
After pictures were taken, Jake and I were driven to Nazaret-- to pick up another traveller. From there we drove into the bustling, sprawling, noisy city of Addis Ababa-- you would not believe the traffic congestion! Somehow our expert driver, Katama, manoeuvred his way through and we waited at the CH guest house till it was time to go to the airport.
Our flight home went very smoothly-- no delays and we even had an extra seat between us so we could sleep a bit. A young Muslim mother in front of us was travelling with 3 children and the baby and the 2 year old cried most of the way. I felt so sorry for her so I helped her as much as I could which she so appreciated. In her broken English she told me she would never travel solo again with 3 children-- I understood:)
We will miss our Ethiopian friends and of course our wonderful South Sudanese teachers! The training went so well and our accommodations and food were so appreciated. The only thing left is to get rid of all my bites--:)-- thankfully Jake and Ike had none!
The class "choir"--Rose is one of our Ugandan teachers ( in the red)
Our SS teachers were so excited to go back home and "train" their colleagues with all the resources and teaching they've received. We pray for much fruit in their work, with their students and ultimately with their nation! May God continue to bless them and their country!

The proud "graduates" with their Ethiopian scarves--


1 comment:

  1. Well done you two. Great that you remembered a treasure box for the teachers to choose a prize. I bet they loved that. From teaching in Africa to teaching your grandchildren, I remember you were heading to Sarah's.

    ReplyDelete