Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tour of the Asella Teachers' College

Ready for our teachers' college tour.
Today ( Wed) we dismissed class at 1pm and had a late lunch. A tour of the Asella Teacher's College was scheduled so we met with the Dean of the College who escorted us around the campus. We saw their IT room, the library building, the fine arts rooms, and the teacher resource and teaching aids room. I think the SS teachers got some ideas or inspiration from the tour. The Dean stressed that his teachers were encouraged to make all kinds of teaching aids using local materials--for example there was a huge map of Africa made of all sorts of scrap material. Or a large vowel chart made of seeds glued onto each letter to make it a tactile learning experience.
The bottled snake-- I didn't take this photo!!!
The teachers all know my phobia of snakes! So of course in the teacher resource room they see a bottled snake and proceed to tell me that a snake is in the room! I immediately hightailed it to the opposite side of the room shaking with fear-- while they just howled in laughter:)
On our walk home today we stopped and bought two Ethiopian cross necklaces from two lovely teenagers who were sitting on the grass doing typical schoolgirl things--we exchanged names and smiles and a bit of broken English:)


Relaxing after school-- eating, talking, making things.

My beautiful new necklace-- Jake's cross was bigger:)

1 comment:

  1. Reading through your blog again, I just notice how this teaching experience has been so different from being in Sudan. I am sure that being more organized, not you as you are always organized, I mean the locals, has made you go through the material in a more thorough way. The students seem to be very eager to learn and I am sure that you will be entertained and blessed by their stories and come home filled with more ideas to take on your next journey.

    ReplyDelete