What an experience to have seen this amazing holiday celebration! All 19 of us were escorted to the very front of the open air church service where we stood for about 3 hours listening to the prayers, chanting, and audience clapping. Jake estimated that there must have been around 25,000 people there! The women were covered in white shawls. Each of the churches represented had choirs in different bold colours making a wonderful tapestry to delight the eyes.
We were told to stay together as one group for safety and security reasons. I quickly realized why when I saw the thousands of worshippers! After 2 hours of standing, the huge bonfire was finally lit -- I think it was probably the largest outdoor fire I've ever seen. Individuals were also carrying lit branches. Sellers of necklaces, twig branches, and Saint brochures were working the crowds. Brightly colored umbrellas held upside down were used as collection plates and the young people holding them passed us at least a dozen times:) We were tired when we finally got back home but we were really glad that we went to see this cultural religious experience!
We were told to stay together as one group for safety and security reasons. I quickly realized why when I saw the thousands of worshippers! After 2 hours of standing, the huge bonfire was finally lit -- I think it was probably the largest outdoor fire I've ever seen. Individuals were also carrying lit branches. Sellers of necklaces, twig branches, and Saint brochures were working the crowds. Brightly colored umbrellas held upside down were used as collection plates and the young people holding them passed us at least a dozen times:) We were tired when we finally got back home but we were really glad that we went to see this cultural religious experience!
| A wonderful Ethiopian grandmother ( had a cell phone under her shawl) |
| Just a small snapshot of the thousands of people! |
| Our group had to stay together! |
![]() |
| Can you see the cross in the fire? |

No comments:
Post a Comment